we are always zooming about doing stuff – here is where you can catch up with us in 2016…
(contact us for any more details on the events – email@example.com)
- Saturday 25th February 2017 – 4 – 5.30pm – Urban Foraging Cocktail Workshop at Patterns, Brighton. A special event led by claire potter design as part of the immersive Woodlandia Experience… See here for more details on the event and for tickets.
- Wednesday 25th January 2017 – 6.30 – 9.00 – Pecha Kucha, Brighton. Claire will be one of the speakers for Volume 26 of the Brighton Pecha Kucha series, with the theme of RE RE RE. So, from REuse to REjuvination, REcycling to REcovery – and a bit of RE-education, REvolution and REgeneration too, the night will be something REally special. Tickets are available now – and get in quick – they sell out really fast! from £5 per person, available from the main Pecha Kucha website here.
NOVEMBER / DECEMBER 2016:
- We are opening our Studio Loo once more for the Brighton Artists’ Open Houses on three weekends in November and December, stocked full of locally made gifts and design by wonderful people – take a look at our dedicated page here.
- Monday 24th October – 12 – 3.00pm – now Claire is a SAS Regional Rep, join us as we lead another Surfers Against Sewage Autumn Beach Clean, starting at the beach behind the Kind Alfred in Hove! We will do a bit of cleaning of our beloved beaches and will be on hand to discuss all things marine litter with you all. We will also have a few examples of the items we have made from marine plastics over the year, along with examples from other people too, like a skateboard made from recycled fishing nets! Bring a pair of sturdy gloves (we will have some spares) and get involved! £free See here for more details on the clean we are leading, plus the others happening in Brighton and Hove over the week…
- Sunday 4th September – 10-12.30 – another urban foraging walk around the streets and parks of Brighton. check out our Eventbrite page here.
- Thursday and Friday 8-9th September, E&PDE conference, Aalborg, Denmark – claire will be part of a team presenting the paper ‘ENHANCING SUSTAINABLE DESIGN – THE USE OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS IN DESIGN EDUCATION’…
- Greenman Festival, Brecon Beacons, Wales – Waterfront at Settlement (Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th August) – a talk about the marine litter and three workshops – one on making things from Ghost Gear and TWO workshops on how to make cocktails from foraged goodies… see below for more details!
- Sunday 10th July – 10-12.30 – the first of our urban foraging walks in 2016 – see our Eventbrite page for more details.
- March of the Mermaids – Saturday 23rd July from 10 – Hove lawns. We are delighted to be teaming up with the World Cetacean Alliance to run a series of jewellery making workshops using ghost gear – fishing rope and net that has been lost at sea, then recovered. Come and say hello, learn a little bit about ghost gear and make something too!
- weekends in May – we will be hosting another Artists Open Houses at the Studio, with another specially selected group of local artists and designers showing the latest in their ranges – from prints to homewares and jewellery too.
- Clerkenwell Design Week – 24th – 26th May – we are really exciting to be heading up to the Clerkenwell Design Week as exhibitors this year, where we will be showing our stuff in one of the old police cells in PLATFORM. We will be showing the experimental and conceptual stuff we’ve been up to with marine plastic over the last year or so. come and say hello! see here for more details
- University of Brighton Design Degree show – 31st May 2016 – private view keynote speaker. 6.30 – 8.30pm – claire will be giving an overview of our studio work and recent collaborations with the World Cetacean Alliance, Parley for the Ocean and Surfers Against Sewage and the premise of designing for a circular economy.
- Sunday 1oth April – 10am – 12pm: join us as we lead the Hove Big Spring Beach Clean for Surfers Against Sewage in association with Parley for the Oceans. Starting on the beach behind the King Alfred Leisure Centre, we will do a bit of cleaning of our beloved beaches. Parley will be recycling all the plastic recovered and we will also be redirecting some of the collected plastic into our own studio marine plastic recovery projects too, using the Parley A.I.R. principle – Avoid / Intercept / Redesign. Bring a pair of sturdy gloves and get involved! (please note – we are doing Sunday 10th due to the Brighton Marathon being on the 17th April!) £free! check out this post for more details
FEBRUARY / MARCH 2016:
- Untangled project with the World Cetacean Alliance – we created our Ghost Gear Chandelier for the World Cetacean Alliance to highlight the issues with lost and abandoned fishing netting globally, and from the second half of February to the first half March we will be showing our chandelier in the window of the studio, with a few other facts about marine litter. Pop along to Studio Loo, 201 Portland Road Hove to see it during our studio opening hours…
What we were up to last year…
- Saturday 5th / Saturday 12th / Sunday 13th December – we continue with our Artists Open Houses openings… (see November for details)
- Saturday 21st / Sunday 22nd / Saturday 28th November – Artists Open Houses – we had a great time in May when we opened our Studio Loo for the AOH tours in Brighton, with our specially selected guests of wonderful designers, print artists, jewellers, ceramicists, plus many more. We will be open again for Christmas as your one stop shop for seasonal shopping…
- Sunday 22nd November 5.30 – 9.00pm – PechaKucha Brighton – GOOD GRUB – Claire will be talking about Urban Foraging, at SILO in Brighton. Tickets are £15 and include a light tasty dinner from the guys at SILO – and they are selling fast! SOLD OUT!
- Saturday 24th / Sunday 25th October – Eco Open Houses – after opening our studio 80% completed last year, we are delighted to be opening again, now we are completely finished and working from Studio Loo. Come and say hi and find out about all the measures we took to create our eco work space. (£free)
- Sunday 6th September – Urban Foraging Walk – the last of our Urban Foraging Walks in Brighton this year. See our Eventbrite page for more details. (£10 adults / kids free)
- Friday 18th September – Squirelling and Studio Loo – Claire talks to the Shoreham Society about the Studio work and our sustainable ethos. (£2/3)
- Saturday 26th September – Garage Sale Trail – Brighton – as part of the first Garage Sale Trail, we will be celebrating reuse with a stall outside Studio Loo, selling off old design bits and bobs, books, journals and reclaimed stuff.
- Wednesday 30th September – Claire talks Eco Design – Claire will be at The Old Market in Hove for the Brighton Etsy Talks, speaking about all things design and eco. (£free)